Wednesday, December 3, 2014

For We Are His Handiwork

In Dorothy Sayers, Gaudy Night, Peter Wimsey buys Harriet Vane,
. . . a set of carved ivory chessmen . . . , for which she had conceived an unreasonable affection. . . . They were Chinese, and each piece was a complicated nest of little revolving balls, delicate as fine lace. 
When I first read this book, years and years ago, I conceived a mad desire to just see such a thing, and so I was nearly ecstatic when I found a set much like the one pictured below in the Peabody and Essex Museum in Salem, MA.  


These look larger than the ones I saw, which I remember as being about 2/3 of the size these are in the picture, and it was an entire set in a lovely case, and I believe they were more delicate and intricate. I kept thinking about how long it took someone to carve the figures, and how no one has the time to do work like this anymore and what a loss that is to the world. After staring at them for a while, I looked around at all the other objects from China and India that were in the room. There were so many exquisite little miracles of craftsmanship, and I wondered how many craftsmen of that caliber there are left in the world.

I remembered the chess set today when I saw the item that is going around Facebook about a young man, Benjamin Harff, who illuminated and bound a copy of Tolkien's Silmarillion. There's an interview with him here, and if you do a Google image search, you can see more of the illuminations.

I find myself a bit jealous of anyone who has the time to do such a thing, but then I wonder if I would take advantage of it if I had it. I probably would not. I like to think that given the time, I would write something here everyday, but I frequently waste the time when I have it. I remember before I worked, though, that I was always making something: sewing, embroidering, or knitting--nothing anywhere near this lovely, but it was very satisfying. I hope that someday I can get back to that. 

AMDG

8 comments:

  1. The title enriches this excellent meditation -- God takes the time. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting, Mary. I was wondering if anyone would get anything from the title.

      AMDG

      Delete
    2. Speaking of how wondrously fashioned we are, I've just been reading Marilynne Robinson's Terry lectures against scientistic reductionism, Absence of Mind. It's not as engaging as Gilead, but I can send it on if you're interested.

      Delete
    3. Sure. It's been a long time since you sent me any reading material.
      AMDG

      Delete
  2. An African priest's reaction to first seeing a medieval cathedral was: "Wonderful! Amazing! Can you still build things like this?"

    Which everybody seemed to think was a funny question, but of course the answer is "No."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But can we build something equally wonderful? I would think so, but will we?

      AMDG

      Delete
    2. I would say we can't, but the obstacle is not technological competence.

      Delete
    3. You're probably right, but who knows. I'm disappointed that Mr. Harff seems to have disappeared, but maybe we'lll hear from him again eventually.

      AMDG

      Delete