Saturday, April 4, 2015

Holy Saturday: A Little Hopkins, A Lot of Silence

O God, I Love Thee
Gerard Manley Hopkins

O God, I love thee, I love thee--- 
Not out of hope of heaven for me
 Nor fearing not to love and be
 In the everlasting burning. 

 Thou, thou, my Jesus, after me 
Didst reach thine arms out dying, 
 For my sake sufferedst nails and lance, 
 Mocked and marred countenance, 
Sorrows passing number, 
Sweat, and care and cumber, 
Yea, and death, and this for me. 
And thou couldst see me sinning: 

Then I, why should I not love thee, 
Jesu, so much in love with me ? 
Not for heaven's sake; not to be 
Out of hell by loving thee; 
Not for any gains I see; 
But just the way that thou didst me 
I do love and will love thee: 

What must I love thee, Lord, for then ? 
 For being my King and God. Amen.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Repository for Holy Thursday
No Giotto today. More tomorrow.

AMDG

No comments:

Post a Comment