Tuesday, April 9, 2013

A Few Spring Things and Some Other Things

For some reason, actually many reasons, I just could not get to work on time this morning. A few things happened to slow me down, and then when I was about 20 minutes down the road, I started wondering if I'd remembered to take my blood pressure medication. I couldn't remember taking it. Then I had to debate with myself about whether or not I was going to go all the way home to take it, and eventually I did. I was really glad when I got there because it was the time of the birds. I'm not sure exactly what time that might be, but this was definitely it. I couldn't see very many, but I could hear them, and for once, I remembered to record them. And so, ladies and gentlemen, here they are:

 

About twenty seconds in, you can hear an owl, and then there's something cawing in the distance. It was very difficult to drag myself away from all this just to work all day.

Spring is proceding apace. Lots of these showed up this morning.


And a few of these


Although I'm afraid half of my azaleas are dead.

And there was this.


Since we have neither a body of water, nor fishermen, it's a bit enigmatic.

The cow egrets returned to dine with their friends.


I really need a better camera.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

And the other things. On the way to work this morning, I would have sworn that there were mountains in the distance if I didn't know that there aren't.


It was really much more pronounced in person.

Poor man's Magritte


Ceci n'est pas une porte.

Came across this while driving around on my retreat, about which more later.


Just when I was wanting fish guts

At the rest stop


Behind the security shack at the rest stop


But goats, goats are okay.

And I almost forgot to add this comment which was left for the very short post from yesterday in which I requested someone to hold hot coals to my feet to make me write. It was too good to languish unseen.
Thanks so much for this. I'm a writer out of Creil, Netherlands and what I just read here on blogger couldn't be written any better.Reading through this article reminds me of my previous roomie, Burton. He persistently kept preaching about this. I most certainly will send this material to him. Pretty sure he will have a good time reading this. I am grateful to you you for revealing this. It's made me remember the reason why I loved this blog so much.Thanks for keeping it going, I'm gonna start checking back more frequently. How often do you update your blog.Feel free to surf to my site.
Obviously, some people can read a lot into a blog post. I'm not sure I would want to have a roomie who persistently preaches about burning feet with hot coals.

AMDG

10 comments:

  1. Ha! Good for the goats. I am sure the bobber and the fish guts are somehow connected. Your bird sounds are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may have something there with the fishy connection.

      AMDG

      Delete
  2. Yes, your correspondent should flee that roommate as fast as he can.

    The bird songs are indeed beautiful. I like these sort of looking-around posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it does say it was his former roomie--or hers. This is pretty sophisticated fishing here. All the words are spelled correctly; the grammar is good; and it makes sense. It could fool somebody that had only been blogging for a week or so--but certainly not in response to that post.

      Thanks. I'm glad you like them because I have lots more to go.

      AMDG



      Delete
  3. That owl, by the way, is still going strong. He was hooting all through the evening and when I woke up this morning. I wonder if they hoot in their sleep.

    AMDG

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have a lot of owls in the immediate area and now and then they, or at least one of them, seems to get all mixed up about when to hoot, and do it through the day. I've never noticed any pattern to it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was wondering if it was mating season.

    AMDG

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely birdsong. And made me wonder once again if we humans learned to sing by copying birds. Or is there something in evolutionary theory that explains it?

    I hope this doesn’t reveal how truly depraved I am, but all your talk about hooting owls made me think of the restaurant chain, Hooters.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was astounded when I visited Memphis to see that there really is a restaurant chain called Hooters. A sit-com that I used to watch from time to time had one episode partially set in a Hooters restaurant, and I thought it was rather a feeble gag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (That was a reply to Marianne, not to the post as such - I still haven't quite got the controls mastered.)

      Delete