Wednesday, November 21, 2012

The Presentation of Mary and the Presentation of Mary Rebecca

Presentation of the Virgin in the Temple
Today is the Feast of the Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary about which the Catholic Encyclopedia has to say:
The Protoevangel of James, the Gospel of Pseudo-Matthew, the Gospel of the Nativity of Mary, and other apocryphal writings (Walker, "Apocryph. Gosp.", Edinburgh, 1873) relate that Mary, at the age of three, was brought by her parents to the Temple, in fulfillment of a vow, there to be educated.
Someone, maybe one of my daughters, asked me a while back where the names Joachim and Anne came from and the answer is that they came from the Protoevangelium of James. We don't know for certain that those were really their names, but it's nice that we should call them something and these names are as appropriate as anything. Anne means grace, which is fitting for the mother of she who was filled with grace, and the Catholic Encyclopedia says that Joachim means Yahweh prepares. Anne, of course, is still a popular name. I don't think I've ever met anyone named Joachim, nor have I ever read a book with a character by that name. It seems not to have been very popular, but I suspect it has risen from the ashes with the advent of Joaquin Phoenix.

These are the lyrics to the hymn that the website that I use for the Liturgy of the Hours chose for Morning Prayer today. It doesn't have anything in particular to do with today's feast, but it has lovely imagery. It's from an unattributed Medieval text.

MARY THE DAWN

Mary the Dawn, Christ the Perfect Day;
Mary the Gate, Christ the Heav’nly Way!
Mary the Root, Christ the Mystic Vine;
Mary the Grape, Christ the Sacred Wine!
Mary the Wheat-sheaf, Christ the Living Bread;
Mary the Rose-Tree, Christ the Rose Blood-red!
Mary the Font, Christ the Cleansing Flood;
Mary the Chalice, Christ the Saving Blood!
Mary the Temple, Christ the Temple’s Lord;
Mary the Shrine, Christ the God adored!
Mary the Beacon, Christ the Haven’s Rest;
Mary the Mirror, Christ the Vision Blest!
Mary the Mother, Christ the Mother’s Son.
Both ever blest while endless ages run.
Amen.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Today is also the 25th birthday of my youngest daughter Mary Rebecca, whom we call Becca. I must say that it was very clever of her to be born on a day that was so aptly named.


I told her that I was going to use this picture and say that it says about all there is to say. Even when she was six, she did not suffer fools gladly. She does, however, have many fine qualities and we are very proud of her, and she is still cute.

AMDG









14 comments:

  1. I have never seen that medieval litany before, and I like it very much. I'd also never seen divineoffice.org before. I often go to universalis.com.

    Happy birthday to your daughter! A 25th birthday is a major milestone -- and how much better to reach it without your mother being hit by a truck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of the things I like about the website it that it keeps me up to date with the feast days. When I'm using the book, I always forget to look back and see if there is anyone. I like it better than Universalis. To me, it's much easier to use. I started reading the office on the Kindle when I was having so much trouble with my eyes, but now that they are better I will probably go back to my books. I really like the books.

      AMDG

      Delete
  2. Beautiful post, and happy birthday (again) to Becca!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Divine Office a lot, too, much more than I like Universalis. I haven't used it for a while, and I think I should go back to it, because I too miss feast days all the time ("Oh, hey, kids, the feast of St. X was three days ago, and we missed it, so let's quickly read up on him and all the other saints we've overlooked in the last month and a half . . . "). It's not feast days at our house so much as "Digest Days."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my house, I'm afraid it's more like, "Well, they'll come around next year."

      AMDG

      Delete
  4. What a delightful picture (and person, I'm sure).

    Mobile has streets named Anne and Joachim. I'd like to know how they got them. Seems too much of a coincidence not to be related.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly the same expression she had when she was about 3 and, standing with her fists firmly planted on her hips, she looked at a pile of junk on the couch and said, "Look at this mess! Becca wants to sit here!"

      I'm sure that's where the names came from with all the Catholic culture there.

      AMDG

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Well, whichever one that is, I love you too!

      AMDG

      Delete
  6. I know some people who recently named their son Joachim. I expect he was named for the saint. The same couple have a daughter named Perpetua.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you think they will call her Perpetua? Maybe she'll think up her own name. My granddaughter Penelope calls herself Opie.

      AMDG

      Delete
    2. They call her "Peppy" for short. I'm not sure what they'll do when she gets a little older.

      Delete