Tuesday, February 26, 2013

More Distraction

Sunday before last, our priest opened his homily by describing the video below. I'm sure many of you have seen this little vignette of an older woman who moves distractedly from one task to the other, never getting anything done. He told it as a kind of joke, and it is funny to watch, but it's very frustrating to live.



I don't have really have this problem at home, but I frequently feel this way at work. I usually do manage to get things done, but I'm frequently six jobs deep into a hole of confusion and have to dig myself out. Sometimes it's because people keep asking me to do things right away while I'm in the middle of other jobs, but sometimes I do it to myself. I don't think I was like this when I was younger, but then, I never had this kind of a job before. I also wonder how much the internet has formed a sort of habit of distraction in my mind. 

Today I got a lot done, but never had time to write anything, which is why I'm posting a video at 8:36 p.m. 

AMDG

2 comments:

  1. I cannot remember -- Henri Nouwen -- Thomas Merton -- who said the ministry to which we are called is in the distractions. It is in the interruptions. It is in being present to the person in front of us, not in what we planned to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I do agree with that, especially when we are talking about people. The distractions that I would like to get rid of are the ones rattling around in my own head.

    AMDG

    ReplyDelete