Thursday, March 6, 2014

Thursday After Ash Wednesday

It was another unbelievably busy day at work, then babysitting after work, and then more work that came home with me. Once again, I'm sitting here typing when I ought to be in bed. So, I'll be brief.

Several months ago I volunteered to be the lector at a funeral because the family didn't have anyone that wanted to read, and this led to my being a frequent lector for daily Mass. It's been nice because I pay much more attention to the readings than I might if I were in my usual distracted state in the pew.

Today, I'm struck by the juxtaposition of the readings from Deuteronomy 30 and Luke 9. In Deuteronomy, Moses tells us:
I have set before you life and death, the blessing and the curse. Choose life, then, that you and your descendants may live, by loving the LORD, your God, heeding his voice, and holding fast to him. For that will mean life for you, a long life for you to live on the land that the LORD swore he would give to your fathers Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.”
And Jesus says:
If anyone wishes to come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake will save it. What profit is there for one to gain the whole world yet lose or forfeit himself?
We have to choose life over death, but the life we choose is much more than, " a long life for you to to live on the land," and can only be reached through death. We choose life by choosing the cross. 

And while I'm thinking about it, it's time for 40 Days for Life in many cities, which is a great way to choose life and pick up your cross. I've mentioned before what a great resistance I had to doing this, but I think if you volunteer for just one hour, you will see it in a whole different light. The website says the event is taking place in 253 communities. You can read more about it and maybe sign up here. If you don't want to pray in front of a clinic, please pray at home.

AMDG

No comments:

Post a Comment