Tuesday, November 3, 2015

Feast of St. Martin de Porres 2015

Image Source: Used by permission of the artist, Owen Swain,
all rights reserved 2014 (may not be reproduced for
personal or commercial use without written permission of the Artist).
As most of you who read this blog know, St. Martin de Porres is my favorite saint and, I would say, the patron of this blog. In fact, he has his own little blog on the sidebar. In the history of this blog, there have been, as of a few seconds ago, 132,000 pageviews--whatever that means--48,102 have been for St. Martin's novena. I'm not sure how long that has taken, but the first comment was in May, 2013. I have been noticing an especially high volume on the blog this last week, and then I realized that it was people coming to get the novena in preparation for the feast day.

The above picture is one that I commissioned from an artist that I met through Heather King's blog, Owen Swain. As you can see, he is very talented, and his prices are very reasonable, i.e. what you can afford, so if you are looking for any original art, you might check him out. The original is 10.5 x 10.5 and is waiting patiently to be hung in my dining room. By the way, I am not in the habit of commissioning paintings, I just could not find a picture of St. Martin that I liked, and I knew that Owen, a Catholic, would seriously pray about the picture and respect the subject.

This evening, as this is the first time, I think, that I have remembered St. Martin's feast before the actual day, we are going to attend a Mass in his honor at our new parish, St. Peter's is also the home of the National Shrine of St. Martin de Porres, and our priests are members of the Dominican Province of St. Martin de Porres, so it looks like we've landed in the right place.

St. Martin de Porres, pray for us.

AMDG

1 comment: