Sunday, June 24, 2012

Sometimes Living in the 21st Century is Nerve-Wracking

This afternoon, I wrote about half of a the post that I had planned for today. Then the electricity went out, and did not come back on until after we had left for a dinner that we were attending this evening. So, all evening I have had no idea whether or not any or all of the post was lost. However, we just got home and I find that it is all there. I'm so glad. Unfortunately, I'm not sure when I'll get to finish it.

So, the only thing I can offer you tonight is the picture that I wanted to post with the others last night, but which I could not liberate from my phone until this morning. The other day, we were driving home and wondering about a clattering noise that we heard coming from the outside of the car. I thought maybe my husband had run over something that was stuck in the wheel well. Then he looked in the side mirror and saw this.


I was afraid to roll the window down and get them out because what if I dropped them on the expressway in the middle of rush hour?  So, we drove for 6 or 7 miles until we came to someplace where we could pull over, I all the time praying that we wouldn't hit any bad dips or bumps. A woman passed, honking and signaling that the keys were in the door. "Yes m'am. I know. Thank you very much."

AMDG


6 comments:

  1. We've done that key thing many, many times.

    Our power was out last night, too, for about two hours. I hadn't really thought about it until then, but this hasn't happened to us before, that I can remember, at least since we've had kids. I do remember one incidence of the power being off for an afternoon when we lived in Salt Lake and Ada was small -- I'm not sure she was even home when it happened, and I don't think she remembers it. I barely do.

    But I was remembering how often the power went off when I was growing up, so that in my memory, anyway, lighting candles in a dark house with no ac/heat never seems as strange as the kids seemed to think last night was. If that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can remember the lights going out one night when I was probably about 9 or 10. My parents were having people over to play bridge that night so there were tables set up in the living room. We sat on the couch with Daddy singing, "Here we sit like birds in the wilderness waiting for the lights to come on." That is a pretty nice memory.

    You must not have been in Memphis when the ice storm hit in 1994. All night long we lay in bed listening to transformers explode. We were without power for 6 days. Thankfully, the temperature rose the day after the storm, so we weren't cold and we weren't trapped. I got a bunch of batteries, and went to the library and got a bunch of audio tapes and listened to them at night with the kids. The ones I remember best were "War of the Worlds." I thought it was great.

    AMDG

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, we were in Salt Lake then -- Ada was about 3 weeks old, and my mother-in-law had come to visit us, which is worth noting because it was one of two times in eight years that she did (she's not unfriendly, just very travel-phobic). I think my sister-in-law and her family, who lived just around the corner from our Woodlark house, went without power for three weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, the candlelit 70s. Why do they get such a bad press?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember the day after the ice storm the temperature rose to about 50 degrees causing all the ice to disappear. A new arrival to the city probably would wonder why all the trees are blown down.

    But as to the current picture, where else but on Janet's blog would you find a picture that has a touch of Jurassic Park?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bwahahahaha!!! Hilarious. I see myself in that reflection.

    ReplyDelete