Thursday, April 17, 2014

Holy Thursday

I'm going to start now, and go ahead and publish the post, but add more as the day progresses.


Jesus washes the feet of his apostles.

Lavamini, mundi estote; auferte malum cogitationum
Wash yourselves, be clean, take away the evil of your devices Isaiah 1:16

mittit aquam in pelvim, et cœpit lavare pedes discipulorum, et extergere linteo
he poured water into a basin and began to wash the disciples’ feet and dry them John 13:5

The text in the Vulgate, as you can see, is a bit different from that on the painting. I wonder where the one on the painting came from.

I

The Institution of the Eucharist?

Et agnum ejusdem anni immaculatum faciet holocaustum 
And he shall offer every day for a holocaust to the Lord, 
a lamb of the same year without blemish    Ezekiel 46:13

I wish I could find the bottom text.

Well, here it is.


As you can see, it's almost impossible to read, but I know it's from this scripture text.

...paraverunt pascha.Et cum facta esset hora dicubuit, et duodecim apostoli cum eo.
...made ready the pasch. And when the hour was come, he sat down, 
and the twelve apostles with him. Luke 22:13-14

The above picture has me really puzzled. "What, I wondered, is He blessing?" Is it bread? Then I enlarged it (you can do this by clicking once) and I think it must be an apostle. There seem to be a lot of Last Supper paintings with one of the apostles, (John?) sleeping on the table. Does anyone know anything about this?


...ego immolo vobis victimam grandem super montes Israel, ut comedatis carnem, et bibatis sanguinem.
I slay for you, a great victim upon the mountains of Israel: 
to eat flesh and drink blood. Ezekiel 39:17
Qui manducat meam carnem, et bibit meum sanguinem, habet vitam aeternam.
He that eateth my flesh and drinketh my blood hath everlasting life. John 6:55



This fresco is in one of the monk cells in what used to Santissima Annunciata, and is now part of the Museo di San Marco. There are twelve apostles here. Some artists portray Judas as being there at the institution of the Eucharist, and some do not. I wonder if Judas is the very dark man kneeling on the right. And there is Mary on the left, and I don't suppose that well is visible through that door on the right for no reason.

.

Ne timeas, quia ego tecum sum; [ne declines, quia] ego Deus tuus: confortavi te. 
Fear not, for I am with thee: [turn not aside,] for I am thy God: I have strengthened thee, 
Isaiah 41:10
Apparuit autem illi angelus de cælo, confortans eum.
And there appeared to him an angel from heaven strengthening him. Luke 22.43



 Another fresco from a monk's cell. I love Martha and Mary awake and praying.


AMDG

No comments:

Post a Comment