Thursday, April 10, 2014

More Rambling

I had something I really wanted to write about tonight, but I'm just too tired. I went to work early and worked an hour late, and lost sleep last night because I was worrying about all that I have to do before Easter. The thing is, this is the first time it's been Easter since I started working at the church, and I know that there are a million things that go into getting ready for Holy Week, and I worry about missing something important. It's not that I worry about forgetting something. It's that I think there might be something that I just don't know--that no one has told me--so there's no way for me to remember. Oh well, I have more than enough to do even without whatever it is.

I typed the text of the Passion so that the people who are going to be reading it can easily find their parts. I'm a fast typist, but it still took a while. I though I might see something there while typing that I hadn't noticed before, but for the most part the words go straight from the text to my fingers. I didn't even noticed when I turned two pages at once and missed the institution of the Eucharist. One thing did get my attention though.

It's the scene in the Garden of Olives when Peter cuts of the ear of one of the soldiers. How many times have I read or heard this? I can't imagine. And I never thought this before. Peter carries a sword? Have you ever pictured the apostles walking around with swords, or have you ever seen a picture of the apostles with swords--a knife, yes, but a sword? Has he always had it, or did he just start carrying it because he felt Jesus was in danger? Had Jesus been looking at Peter and thinking, "What is that guy doing now?" Was he saving that comment about those who live by the sword dying by the sword for just the right moment? I guess I'll never know in this life.

Okay, so I looked up the sword of Peter because I wanted a picture of Peter with a sword, and what I mostly found was images from the Narnia Chronicles, but lo and behold, I also found this.


I found it here, where I learned that some people believe that this rather peculiar sword, which can be found in a Polish archdiocesan museum, might actually be the sword of Peter. Apparently, Joseph of Arimathea is supposed to have taken it to Britian, where it ended up at Glastonbury Abbey (along with the Holy Grail, I suppose--Glastonbury seems to have all the luck). Then it belonged to St. George. I'm not sure how it got to Poland.

Well, there you go. I'm still not sure what he was doing with it. I mean, when Jesus said the apostles should carry, " neither walking stick, nor sack, nor food, nor money, and let no one take a second tunic," when they went on their missionary journey, surely he wouldn't have forgotten to say, "And you really ought to leave the sword behind."

As you can probably tell, I really need to get to bed early tonight, so I will close here. Goodnight and God Bless.

AMDG

2 comments:

  1. "We have two swords": two swords between the twelve of them. I've always wondered whose the other one was. It strikes me as possible that boys pay more attention to these verses ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes. I'm sure they do. When we did plays with the homeschool kids, we tried to always have swords.

    Now that I see that, I realize it's familiar to me. Probably Simon the Zealot.

    Sorry your comment took so long to show up. It was in the spam filter. I don't understand what my blog has against you.

    AMDG

    ReplyDelete