Friday, December 14, 2018

Another Visitor


Today when I got home from the grocery store, I pulled part way into my driveway, and then quickly stopped, because I saw this hawk sitting in a tree right next to where we park. It was nice of him to sit still long enough for me to get a picture. I tried to ease the car a little closer, but he flew away. I think it is a red shouldered hawk. I hope he comes back, I could easily watch him from my porch.

Other good ornithological news is that there was a chickadee eating my bird food, which up until today had been scorned by one and all.


Today is the feast day of St. Lucy on which it is the custom in some countries--Sweden in particular--for the oldest daughter to dress in a white robe and to wear a wreath of lit candles on her head and serve breakfast to the family. We actually did this once, although I could not bring myself to set fire to my daughter's head. We are a very clumsy family. I saw a St. Lucy's wreath made of felt the other day on someone's blog, and thought that that was probably what we needed. 

Wait! I see now that today is the 14th and not the 13th! Oh well. A day late.

I got the recipe for St. Lucy's saffron rolls from this little book, which is full of good bread recipes for every December occasion, and probably goes all the way to the Epiphany. I see it is available for $1..99 used at Barnes and Noble, and would be well worth the price.



AMDG

2 comments:

  1. I remember "Santa Lucia" for a Christmas program back in second or third grade. We knew nothing about her except that she was associated with Sweden and Christmas--and must have been assumed that she had blonde hair that was braided, because that was what they did with me--or my sister. I honestly can't remember now if I was Santa Lucia, or she was, or we both had that role at different times. (I did get to be Cinderella and various other characters at other times simply because I was the only girl in my class with blonde hair!) Thanks for a sweet memory--even if I can't remember who it belongs to for sure, ha.

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful icon of St Lucia! :) God bless you are you journey towards Christ's birth!

    ReplyDelete