Sunday, December 2, 2018

Beginning Again

Not this year but not much different.
It has been a long time since I thought much about writing on this blog, and I have thought many times that I ought to shut it down; however, I've never been able to make myself do it. I often think about things that I would like to write about, but somehow never get around to doing it.

But now it is Advent, and if I have written about anything on the blog, it is Advent. It is, as I have written before, my favorite time of the year, and the time, even more than Lent, when I am able to make a quiet space in my life. Anyone who knows me personally will probably think it's strange that I have a hard time finding that space. I quit my job at the end of January, and have very few commitments, but somehow, I am way busier than I want to be. Many of the things that keep me busy are things that I love like traveling to see my children and grandchildren, or having a house full of company for Thanksgiving, or my three book clubs. Some are downright frustrating, for instance trying to deal with making sure that my husband and I have insurance now that he is retiring.

As a result of all these things, this year we stumbled into Advent exhausted and unprepared. I had visions of having everything neat and organized, my Advent wreath on my purple tablecloth on the dining room table, and our purple dishes in the kitchen cabinets. (Yes, I know it's kind of over-the-top to have Advent dishes, but I really like Advent.) Instead, the desk in my living room is still covered with Thanksgiving decorations, and my dining room table is covered with papers, and we finally got the Advent wreath down right before dinner.

Still and all, we did light the first candle this evening and prayer for a bit, and I do have a sort of plan for Advent. For instance I am going to stay away from Netflix, etc. and use that time for reading and writing, and I have downloaded the Domincan Compline App, so that I can listen to the friars pray and sing compline every night, which I am about to do right now.

AMDG

7 comments:

  1. I had forgotten that this blog was how I found your other blog! I totally get the busyness. It took me a minute to understand that for you purple is a colour for Advent; for us it is the main colour of Lent! :) I hope that things calm down for you and you can do the prayerful quiet that you hope for this season.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was a kid, I remember my parents put a blanket over the TV for Lent. It's hard to stay away from entertainment like that, but I too will be writing and reading more instead!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Janet! I love Advent so much, too. I'm glad to meet you.
    I might need that app. I have two that are pretty good, but I think your idea of avoiding Netflix for a while is very wise. I rarely find anything I really want to watch anyway.
    Peace prayed for for YOU today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh! I am so interested in your purple for Advent. You will see why after I post a blog about vestment colors soon. I'm really glad you joined this December/Advent blog-along!! I feel the same way about being so, so busy, and part of me thinks: What?? Another commitment? But historically, writing is part of my contemplative life, so...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we have purple for Advent and Lent both.

      AMDG

      Delete
  5. Hello Janet. I'm popping by via Pom Pom's blog.
    Advent is such a special time and one I dearly love too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for your comments. I broke a tooth last night and had to get it fixed today--I live a ways from town--so I didn't get a chance to read yours yet, but I will.

    AMDG!

    ReplyDelete