Friday, December 7, 2018

Little by Little


When I set up my crêche during Advent, I don't put everybody in the same place because nobody is there yet. Only the ox is in the stable, patiently waiting for someone to put something for him to eat in the manger. Well this poor ox doesn't even have a manger because Baby Jesus is glued into the manger, so He can't be there yet. I need to find a manger to put in there until Christmas.

Usually, Mary and Joseph and the donkey are somewhere on the road to Bethlehem in the living room. The shepherds are keeping watch over their sheep on the chest in the foyer. The magi and their camel are as far east as you can get in my house, which is on the sill of our bedroom window. And sad to say Baby Jesus and the angel are wrapped up in a drawer.

But actually, at the moment everybody except for the ox is still in the box. A few years ago, I read a book in which the main character put out one piece of her Nativity set each day during Advent. I thought that was kind of nice. It gives you a chance to think about all these people (and animals) individually. So this year I decided to get out one little group at a time.

This also gives me a chance to dust the places where they are supposed to be.

Aside from the crêche and a few garlands, I won't decorate much until right before Christmas. I haven't decided if I will have a tree. Maybe I should get a little one.

Here's today's Advent song. First, a simple version so you can hear (and read) the words . . .



and the Ely Cathedral Boys' Choir.


AMDG

4 comments:

  1. What a good idea that is to put out one piece of the nativity beginning in Advent. ( Or maybe I should count how many pieces there are and arrange it so the baby is added Christmas morning??)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely! I like the idea of decorating more and more as Christmas draws closer.

    ReplyDelete