Tuesday, December 4, 2018

The Wreath

While my husband and I have been lighting the candles on the Advent Wreath since Sunday, we have been moving it back and forth from one place to another until now, because it's normal resting place, the dining room table, has been covered with papers concerning my husband's recent (yesterday) retirement. Today, I was finally able to put it in it's proper place--not that I'm finished with the papers.

I've been thinking about why the Advent Wreath is so important to me, and I guess it is because we had one in my home when I was little. I don't remember how many years we had a wreath, in fact, I wonder if we only did it once. At any rate, I'm pretty sure that it was the only prayerful thing--aside from going to Mass--that we ever did in association with Christmas.

Since I first learned about the Advent Wreath in my Catholic family, I always assumed that it was originally a Catholic tradition, but no, it originated in the Lutheran Church, and was eventually adopted by Catholics. There is a great variety of style in Advent Wreaths. There don't seem to be any official requirements except that it be round--it is a wreath, after all--and that there are four candles. Traditionally in the Catholic Church, there are three purple candles, and one pink (rose, really), one for each week of Advent. The colors mirror the colors of the vestments that the priest wears on the Sundays of Advent. The purple is for penitence, and the rose is for joy, and is worn on the third Sunday, Gaudete (Latin for Rejoice) Sunday, because we are halfway through our time of waiting.

Also traditionally, there is some kind of greenery on the wreath--it is a wreath, after all--but now many people use just plain wood or ceramic wreaths. We have always used holly, or, because I am lazy, artificial holly, but many people use other kinds of evergreens, and some add flowers and ribbons, and other things. Our wreath is simple, because I prefer it that way. In the midst of all the preparation for Christmas, I want there to be a quiet, uncomplicated space.

The reason I like holly is that somewhere along the way, I learned certain questions about the symbolism of the wreath that I always asked the children before we lit the first candle.

Why is this wreath round?
Because it represents God, Who has no beginning and no end.

Why do we have these green leaves?
Because green is the color of hope. We are waiting in joyful hope for the coming of our Saviour.

Why do the leaves have little thorns?
To remind us of the nails that pierced Jesus's hands and feet.

Why these red berries?
To remind us of the blood that he shed for us.

Why purple?
Because we repent during Advent.

Why pink/rose?
Because we are rejoicing that we are halfway through our waiting.

Then my husband would say a simple prayer blessing the wreath, and I would light the candle, and we all said a short prayer, and sang Advent songs. Often when the children were young, we would have some sort of craft or activity.

Now that there are only the two of us, I don't ask the questions, but we light the candles and pray and sometimes sing. We are also watching a series of Advent reflections.

Oh, and the bowl. I started putting that in the center one year when I was reading Caryll Houselander's wonderful book, The Reed of God. If you are interested in what that is about, I wrote about it here.

AMDG

8 comments:

  1. So interesting! My family enjoyed an advent wreath and now I have it and we used it with our kids and now the grands.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coming from a non-liturgical tradition (Baptist) until this year I just thought it was another style of wreath, not recognizing the symbolism. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We never had an Advent wreath when I was a child (we were Presbyterian) nor when I instituted traditions as a homemaker and mother, when we were "non-denominational." I'm surprised that it originated with the Lutherans! But that explains why we Orthodox don't have it, plus the fact that our Advent is longer...

    Sunday when I learned about colors of vestments in our Orthodox tradition, I went home to start writing my blog that is scheduled to be published in a few hours -- I keep staying up too late working on these daily posts! -- And I looked for photos of red vestments during Advent. I couldn't find any I liked, but I noticed that even some Orthodox use purple during Advent, which made sense to me, because it is a fast period like Lent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too am suffering from the staying up too late to work on blogposts syndrome.

      AMDG

      Delete
  4. I know one tradition had red for Christmas within Orthodoxy (the church I joined as an adult) and my church here uses white for Christmas; I am not sure if we really have a colour for Advent/Nativity Fast here in the two churches I go to in NJ. I like the idea of red. Thanks for telling us about the wreath and what it symbolizes. I need to go back to my books on the Nativity Fast to be able to articulate what my tradition says; yesterday my church was in a beautiful blue for the Entrance of the Theotokos into the Temple (the Western Churches call this The Presentation)... as blue is the colour we use for the Mother of God! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have white for all feasts except those of martyrs, but sometimes the vestments will be trimmed in blue for Marian feasts. We celebrate the Presentation of Mary on November 21. My daughter, Mary Rebecca, was born that day, so we thought it quite appropriate.

      AMDG

      Delete
  5. I grew up in a church that had no Advent traditions at all. I attended school in a parish where most of the families were Catholic and that's when I learned about celebrating this wonderful time of the year. The Advent wreath came later. I'm not sure when or where I first heard of it but when I did I knew we had to have one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear it. Thanks for the comment.

      AMDG

      Delete