Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Almost There

O Root of Jesse
A standard to the peoples
Before whom kings are mute,
To whom all nations shall 
                                appeal--
Come to deliver us; delay, please, no longer.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
I've posted pictures of the swamp that we drive through on the way to work, but there is another one that we pass on a two-lane highway on the way to church that is very, very beautiful in the spring and summer. A few years ago, work began to add another two lanes to the highway, and they filled in part of the swamp and built a huge berm between the highway and the swamp for the two new lanes. This really should be a good thing eventually because this road ends up under water--about 3 or 4 feet of water--every few years, but in the meantime I haven't seen the swamp for a long, long time. So, when we got to this part of the pilgrimage, I wanted to see if we couldn't walk on top of the berm, which would be safer than walking on the road and it would give us a view of the swamp. 

Well, it worked and we had a very pleasant walk. These pictures don't do it justice. The poor swamp is almost dry even after some recent rain storms. I imagine that during the late summer it was completely dry like most everything else.


The first bridge. I had been worried that the bridges might not be completed to the point where we could walk over them, but they were.


A beaver dam--you can see they've been busy felling trees.


I wish you could tell how big this tree is. Bill says it's about 100' tall.


Bill had parked the car at mid-point, so he had to leave me to move it to the end of the walk. I felt kind of bereft when he left.


This is a picture of the current highway. You can tell how much higher the new one will be. You can also see how low the water is, especially when you think that when it floods, it's 3 or 4 feet over the road. This ought to be a pretty view, but it looks pretty icky.


Near the end of the walk, we came to this post. It must be some sort of omen. 


Well, that's it. We walked 2.1 miles and it is exactly 2.1 miles from the place where we stopped to the church door. We hope to finish this weekend. Next up--the big city--Walmart and everything. 

AMDG


6 comments:

  1. I hope you don't get carried away by the bright lights and excitement of the city and lose all your spiritual gains.

    Nice pictures, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know. Payless and the Dollar General might prove too much for me--not to mention the Mexican Restaurant.

    AMDG

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yeah, those Mexican restaurants are almost irresistible, unless you just finished eating at one. Just keep repeating "Get thee behind me, salsa."

    ReplyDelete
  4. The salsa I can resist; the cheese dip . . .

    AMDG

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've missed that swamp, too. Thanks for the pictures - at least I know it is still there!

    "Get thee behind me, salsa." That's great! HAHA!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going to have to go up there again. There's a place where it's easy to park and easy to walk up.

    This is making me really want to go to that place in Como. After Christmas maybe.

    AMDG

    ReplyDelete