Friday, December 7, 2012

Hide Yourself for a Time


Insignificant man, rise up! Flee your preoccupations for a little while. Hide yourself for a time from your turbulent thoughts. Cast aside, now, your heavy responsibilities and put off your burdensome business. Make a little space free for God; and rest for a little time in him.


Enter the inner chamber of your mind; shut out all thoughts. Keep only thought of God, and thoughts that can aid you in seeking him. Close your door and seek him. Speak now, my whole heart! Speak now to God, saying, I seek your face; your face, Lord, will I seek.

And come you now, O Lord my God, teach my heart where and how it may seek you, where and how it may find you.

St. Anslem, the Proslogion

This is from the Office of Readings for the first Friday of Advent. It's lovely advice. I wish I could take it right now, but right now I have to do my job. What I'm trying to figure out is how to make a little space free for God even while I'm working. I haven't quite figured it out yet, but I think maybe it can be done. 

AMDG

4 comments:

  1. Yes, during Advent I would like to live in a Hermitage and really soak in the season. It helps me to realize, in a very small way, how Jesus longed to commune with His Father while He was on earth. May the Lord increase our hunger for Him this Advent!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's helpful for me to remember that Jesus couldn't get away for very long either. Thanks for mentioning that.

      AMDG

      Delete
  2. Just be sure to share it if you do figure it out.

    ReplyDelete